Saturday, October 17, 2015

A Small Success

When I saw this posted on Facebook, my heart warmed.  I didn't finish my college degree and this has been used against me over the years.  (To be fair, I was close.  I just needed one more math class and student teaching to obtain my degree in elementary education.)  When we first began homeschooling some in our family would use this argument against our decision.  Even though we held fast I admit that it has always weighed a little heavy on my heart.  As I said this was posted on Facebook and it warmed my heart, then I saw who posted it and my heart soared.


My Pooker, the oldest, had shared this.  What she wrote has inspired me in so many ways.  I am so blessed to be her mother and to have had the years with her in forming her.  Don't give up when it gets hard, the results of sticking with your homeschool student are remarkable.
Pooker:
"As I've gotten older and seen more from my peers, I've realized and come to appreciate how much my parents loved me and my siblings. By devoting time to us in the specific from of education, my parents sacrificed a lot. I know it's not for everyone. I don't think your parents loved you less if you were sent to tradition school, but mine really did devote a whole hell of lot more time to me and my siblings and I think that speaks volumes. I'm not the best test taker and I'm also not a young person with a doctorate, but that isn't due to my lack of foundation in the education system. I refuse to settle for a degree or a field just so that I can "accomplish" something and look good on paper. That's a post for another day. Right now just a thanks to mom and dad for doing something new and different to you. I know you had to have your doubts, but I think you did a pretty good job; I'm sure I've had some patients that are glad you raised me the way you did as well."

I responded by commenting, 
"Pooker, your dad and I are the ones that are blessed! We have had the honor of spending so much time with you, getting to know you and growing with you. Through your education I have learned so much about the world, our faith, and relationships. It hasn't always been easy but your homeschool education was a mission for us placed on our hearts by God. You are a remarkable person and woman of faith. You are one of the smartest people I have ever met - even if you don't test well. Thank you so much for these beautiful words of affirmation. To us they mean so much! The world is a better place because you are in it and out there saving lives."

I shared this here to remember it and to give hope to others.  

No comments:

Post a Comment