Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Ron Paul Curriculum

Did you know that Ron Paul left his life of civil service and started creating a curriculum for homeschoolers?  His hope is to find a way to help save America.  I have not yet joined but look forward to.  I think the pricing is just right.  I need to wait until I have a little extra time to explore.

I don't know that we will actually use his curriculum in depth but I want to really examine the model.  He had organized a set of self directed classes that can eventually add up to a middle school and high school education.  The site claims that this is all self directed. You really must click here and  visit the web site to start investigating for yourself.
I toke one idea and ran with it, already.  I have had the kids each create a blog and the idea was taken directly from this curriculum.  Read about that idea here, written by Gary North called School Blog. For now ours are not public but eventually will be.  We also used Blogger and maybe I need to look into why he recommends WordPress.  I prefer Blogger just because I am familiar with it.


If any of this intrigues you, I suggest watching the full 26 minutes of the 6th-12th grades being explained in a video form.  I am so excited about the possibilities.  Now I have not forgotten that I have kiddos with learning issues and reading is a huge issue not to mention writing.  I think I might just adapt some of this and the ideas into a real successful curriculum for my own kids.  I do what to change some of the classes out to insure a more Catholic approach.  I agree with the reasons why we need this. 
I don't need to be convinced to homeschool.  I just need to refresh my methods and tweak here and there. If you have more experience with Ron Paul's Curriculum, please share!

2 comments:

  1. I realize this is an old post, but have you (or anyone else here) actually used this with children? I looked all around their site and watched a few of the free videos (the first lesson of every course is free), but the videos seem like nothing more than lecture outlines that are revealed line-by-line in sync with the audio. Is the members-only content better than this? The program seems very pricey for content that's all in the public domain. The Robinson Curriculum does basically the same thing for a flat fee of $200 that covers everything from 2nd to 12th grade for an unlimited number of students. Although we have used Robinson for years, my oldest wants to try a curriculum that has video (and we are huge fans of Ron Paul!). I am just not sure that she would consider a glorified course outline with a few photographs to be a "video." Can anyone offer me some insight about the quality of the later videos in the courses? Are any of them videos in the sense of having moving pictures? Thanks in advance. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have neglected this blog for so long, I am so sorry. I never enrolled so I can't answer your questions. If you did, please let me know. Again I a sorry. I was inspired by this method more than the specifics. We have used tweaks from it.

      Delete